Event management constitutes planning at macro and micro level. This plan, then needs to be put into action by tying up with all stakeholders in the chain to deliver a hiccup-free conduct of the whole show.
Here we are going to talk about the essential skills that one would need to be a successful event manager.
1. Skill of handling people: The skill of handling people, efficient operational capacities in dealing with varied psycho-social temperaments, is an imperative for success in the field of event management.
2. Good communication skills: As an event manager you must have good communication skills as you have to deal with people from different walks of life. You should be humble while talking to stakeholders but at the same time, not seem like a push-over. You need to be effective and impressive.
Better communication skills not only provide work, but also make your inter-personal associations warmer and stronger. This goes a long way when you are seeking business or giving business to the parties involved.
3. Foresight and calm: An event manager should be alert as well as be creative with the ability to remain unfazed during crisis and look for solutions immediately. He/she should be able to think of any problems that may arise and be equipped to deal with them, if at all, they occur.
4. Networking Skills: Event management is a people to people job. A good word of mouth can help you get great business. So you have to be good at networking, establishing new leads and keeping up with them on a regular basis.
When it is a group performance, every link in the chain is important, and with good networking skills, you know who would be the best in the trade to seek out for a successful conduct of your event.
5. Crisis management skills: Sometimes there is a possibility of a bad situation in the middle of the event due to some kind of obstruction. This threatens to affect the entire event work and if an event manager is not able to deal with it immediately, it could spell disaster.
One bad event and your reputation goes for a toss. So it is important that mentally as well as logistically you are equipped to handle disturbance and obstruction during the course of the event and restore things to normalcy.
6. Teamwork and leadership: An event manager has to lead from the front. He has to motivating, encouraging, supporting and be like a rock to each of his team members.The ability to work as a team and lead the team is very important for an event manager as it is a work in which the contribution of the entire team is necessary at the right time everywhere.
The event manager’s team is his eyes and ears in all places to ensure that there is no weak link in the chain. Organizational skills, motivation and leadership go a long way in ensuring the success of an event manager.
How PATSAV can help you acquire these skills
Some qualities are innate and then some can be built with effective training, right environment and experience. At PATSAV, our event management course is a practical, hands-on learning experience where event managers of various events come and take classes for the students.
There is a practical insight into what goes on behind the scenes. What are the problems that occur and how they are dealt with. How with the passage of time, those who thought did not have the necessary skills, are successful event managers today. How networking works in the business. How you can work as trainees to get a real-time experience.
When there is real time experience speaking, your readiness is that much more real. The curriculum, delivery and experts at PATSAV can help you get a headstart as you build up on your skills to be an event manager. If you think, event management is your calling, go for it. We’re there to help you all the way.